Just a blog where I post stuff that I like that include (but are not limited to) video games, movies, music, random gifs, and awesomeness.
Feel free to laugh, groan, moan, and headdesk where necessary. And don't be afraid to pop by my ask box. =)
Reblogged from thedollnerd
I got an MLP doll today! Even though I’m not into EG and don’t like a lot of things about these dolls, I just couldn’t resist for some reason; I think they’re just screaming out for fixing to me, and I couldn’t just leave poor RD there looking like that. Plus, I think she’ll fit in great with my MH crowd.
After taking the doll out of the box and redressing her and whatnot, I am still really ambivalent; these dolls are a weird mix of awesome and terrible.
Let’s talk about the terrible first:
- Sculpts - the head is a really weird interpretation of an anthro MLP, and I don’t think it works; she kinda looks like a weird-ass blue catgirl. It also does not really look like the box art - the profile is flat and ugly, and the face sculpt is very reminiscent of Disney fairy dolls. The body is also pretty poorly sculpted, with very little shape to her limbs.
- Faceup - not Rainbow Dash to me, at all.
- Hair colors - They just gave her a huge swath of red-orange hair instead of bothering to use two separate colors. There’s WAY too much red/orange and yellow, probably 75% of the hair is those two colors.
- Hair rooting - They’ve also given the dolls weird little long “ponytails” in the back, presumably as a nod to their actual pony tails; it looks really stupid though, and they didn’t even bother to do a little extra rooting to hide the bald patch it makes. The rest of the rooting is really hit or miss - some places it looks good, others it’s almost ridiculously thin, even for a doll w/ a factory ponytail. Also, the bangs look like utter crap, as y’all can see.
- Clothing - the red dress and her armwarmers are not hemmed and that makes them look really cheap. The armwarmers are also almost impossible to get back on if you remove them.
- Wings - They’re yellow. RD is blue. Also, why the fuck are they clear and sparkly?
- Shoes - The dolls have pegs instead of feet, like Bratz dolls; and yet their shoes are all high heels. And either I got a bunk pair or they’re badly sculpted, because she cannot stand up on her own, even with the huge shoes, because of the way they’re shaped. The blue boots only have the cutie mark on one of them, and it’s missing the red; both pairs of shoes will need some paint touch-up.
- Overall aesthetic - Rainbow Dash, in dresses? With red lipstick and eye makeup? With pink accessories? With high heels? What?!
Now onto the positives:
- Posablilty - Always a big factor for me with a doll. The jointing on RD is actually pretty good; she has a very decent range of motion. It’s also cool that her hands are not both in the same pose, and have some expressiveness to them. I do wish she moved at the waist and had articulated wrists, but that would probably be asking for a lot from this line.
- Clothes - Two complete outfits, fuck yeah! The two dresses are both pretty cute, and I like how sporty the blue one is. They also fit like real clothes, instead of being skin-tight and scandalously short like a lot of doll clothes.
- Shoes - Aside from the fact that they’re inexplicably high-heeled, the boots are really cute.
- Hair - At least all the colors are there, and some places are nicely rooted.
- Accessories - The winged backpack is freaking adorable, and it’s cool that she has a cutie mark bracelet. She also came with a clip-in hair piece that I might actually wear.
- Eyes - The eye shape doesn’t look like Dash to me, but I do love that the glint in her eye is shaped like a lightning bolt, and she has her cutie mark under her eye.
- Character art - OMG so cute! Still looks like a blue catgirl, but a freaking adorable, super fun one.
- Deboxing - So easy! No muss, no fuss - unlike Monster High or Novi Stars, getting Dash out of the box was actually fun and I didn’t need scissors.
Well, it’s obvious that I’m not totally in love with this doll. She has SO much potential though, and I am not sad at all that I have her. What I’m really looking forward to is making her more Rainbow Dashy - painting details on her accessories, maybe doing a new faceup, and sewing her some new clothes (Gala dress! EG sig outfit! Quidditch uniform? XD).
More of a ref for myself. Kinda disappointed that these are looking like the final products.
Reblogged from royalcanterlotvoice
Supposedly these are still prototypes. If that’s the case, I really hope they remold the face or at least paint them a lil better before the final products are released…